Global Economist, TED Speaker & Author
Dambisa was ranked 6th most influential economist on social media by The Top Economists Power 100 (based on Klout scores).
With nearly 1 million followers across key platforms, she is ranked just behind Paul Krugman, but ahead of Nobel Laureate Joseph Stieglitz, Larry Summers and Nouriel Roubini.
Her work has taken her to more than 70 countries over the last decade, during which time she has developed a unique knowledge on the inherent conflicts facing developed economies, as well as the interaction between politics, international finance and developing markets. In particular, her work examines the interplay of international business and the global economy, while highlighting the key opportunities for investment, capitalizing on her rare ability to translate trends in markets, technology, politics, regulatory matters and economics into their likely impact on global business.
Dambisa Moyo, global economist and author who analyzes the macroeconomy and international affairs, serves on the boards of Barclays Bank, the financial services group, SABMiller, the global brewer, Barrick Gold, the global miner, and Seagate Technology. She was an economist at Goldman Sachs and a consultant to the World Bank in Washington, D.C.
Dambisa is a contributing editor to CNBC, the business and finance news network. Her writing regularly appears in economic and finance-related publications such as the Financial Times and the Wall Street Journal. She is highly educated in a range of subjects. As well as completing her PhD in economics at Oxford University and holding a Masters degree from Harvard University, Dambisa also has an undergraduate degree in chemistry and an MBA in finance at the American University in Washington, D.C.
She is an avid tennis fan and has run numerous half marathons and marathons. She received The Gold Medal of Honorary Patronage of the University Philosophical Society at Trinity College Dublin in Oct 2106. Most recently, Dambisa appears on the the Discovery Channel’s new three-part programme ‘China: Time of Xi’ which focuses on how China is evolving economically under President Xi Jingping.
In nearly 10 years of practical board experience, Dr. Moyo has been engaged in many key aspects of company oversight and operations including:
Board & Management Succession:
• Selection process and appointment of numerous CEOs
• Oversight of the upgrading and staffing of the executive committee
• Corporate governance liaison with shareholders
• Oversight of the structuring of the company Long Term Incentive Plan (LTIP)
• Alignment of compensation in the context of market trends
• Approval of management bonus plans
• First hand knowledge of economic and political conditions in all major emerging markets
• Understanding of recent changes in fundamentals
• Able to assess strategic potential
Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A):
• US$100 billion acquisition of SABMiller by Anheuser Busch; US$10 billion acquisition of Fosters by SABMiller
• Oversight of multi billion dollar asset sales
• Equity raise: Rights issues
• Balance Sheet Management: Capital allocation, Dividend
• Oversight of multi billion dollar regulatory fines and redress
• Implementation of control environment
• Implementation of cultural change agenda
• Rollout of corporate restructuring: Spans & Layers, Organization centralization/de-centralization
• Approval of company risk appetite: versus cost of capital, ROIC/Return targets, mandate and scale, liquidity
• Assessment and management of Macroeconomic, market (including interest rates, FX, Commodity volatility), credit, geo-political risk
• Monitoring of Operational risk
• Monitoring Technology and Cyber risk
• Overseen changes in strategy owing to changes in market conditions
• Approved new business model in light to industry changes after financial crisis
• Overseen changes in business model to reflect structural and regulatory challenges
You may want to go deeper into a topic for your audience. The keynote topics can be tailored and developed to suit your audience needs, be it a 90-minute Masterclass, a half-day or full-day workshop or a full online or face-to-face programme. Please contact one of our expert team to discuss.
- Ten Questions for Business Leaders in a Moment of Crisis
- Democracy Under Siege: Timelines and Policy Trajectory after Trump and BREXIT
- Investment Themes in a De-globalizing World
- Unpacking Technology
- Global Growth Outlook
“The conference with Dr Moyo was a big success. We had approximately 750 guests. The feedback we got was that she truly is an outstanding speaker which I confirm as I had the pleasure to listen to her speech. 45 minutes of free speech with no powerpoint slide, no paper with bullet points in front of her, just her thoughts. It was very impressive. We only got positive feedback on her performance.” Banque Internationale a Luxembourg
“Dr. Moyo’s presentation was one of the best I have seen. The information she offered was timely and fact-filled. Her presentation encompassed so many important areas that will affect the financial plans of families and generations to come.” 2017 Investor Advisor Forum